Recycle Ink Cartridges, Get Cash Back

February 6, 2009

For the longest time Staples had a deal with Hewlett-Packard and a few other companies that offered this: if you brought in an empty one of that brand ink or toner cartridge to Staples for recycling, Staples would give you a coupon for money off your next purchase of an ink or toner cartridge.

Now it seems that Staples is giving you $3 back on any brand cartridge you bring in for recycling. Of course the catch is that you have to be a Staples Rewards member to get this $3 “refund”, and that refund arrives in the form of a rewards check. And you’re limited to recycling 10 cartridges per month.

But signing up for Staples Rewards is free, so why not do it? And even if you did have 10 cartridges to recycle, that would be $30 back in your pocket (eventually) just for doing right by Mother Earth.

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to Recycle Ink Cartridges, Get Cash Back

1. Limit on types at Walgreens on August 24, 2009 at 11:53 am

Walgreens will only refill certain cartridges so you may want to call before driving over. For example, the smaller boxier cartridges are ok but newer HP for the all in one printers are not yet refillable.

2. Donna on February 13, 2009 at 10:03 am

I take (well try to) my cartridges to Walgreen’s to have them re-filled. On Sunday in their sales paper they normally run a special on this service. Normally the black refill is $10. and the color is $15. but they normally have a sale on this and it rangers from BOGO free so for both you can get them filled for $15 that i provided you do color and black. Or they offer both for half price. The lowest I have paid for both black and color is $5.00 that is for both@! But lately I have had a problem with the black cartridge, they said it is damaged and can not be refilled. But when i got home and put it back in the printer it worked as if it was refilled and i got several months out of it, provided i am not printing a ton of coupons that is. I have taken the black back several times and the last time I went and they told me that I brought it home and it was dry as a bone so I bought a new one and when it was empty I took it to Walgreen’s to get refilled and they said the same thing, it was damaged and could not be refilled. I told them it was brand new only been used for a month how could it be damaged. Again i took the new one home and it worked. So I am not sure if the employees there don’t know what they are doing, which i suspect may be the case because these people are not trained to do this a child could do this but maybe just make a huge mess and the people normally that do this no nothing about computers, i have mad a point to ask how computer literate they are and all five that I asked said they don’t even have a computer at home and they know only how to work the cash register. So I suspect that may be the only “damage” there actually is. So FYI guys, Walgreen’s is a good place to get your cartridges refilled and make sure you look in the Sundays sales paper for a coupon or a sale on this service. Sure beats paying the price for a new cartridge at the price of $20. to $60. The average I figure I pay to get both done is about $10.00
    Just check the knowledge of the person who does this at your local Walgreen’s.

3. Daisy on February 7, 2009 at 5:57 pm

My school collects and returns cartridges as one of many fundraising activities. If you don’t want to do it yourself, consider checking with your children’s schools.

4. gardeningatc on February 7, 2009 at 5:39 pm

We’ve done this before, but the last time I took a generic HP compatible cartridge in there they wouldn’t take it. I’ll have to try it again and cite the “any” word in their ad.
    I’ve long thought that these policy’s were more driven by HP’s desire to keep used cartridges out of the hands of third party re-fillers/recyclers than any altruistic mindset.

5. This Eclectic Life on February 7, 2009 at 4:01 pm

You might also check to see if your office supply store can refill your cartridges. At Office Max, the clerk told me that refilling a black ink cartridge only costs $10. Saves some bucks and the earth.

6. Recycle Raccoon on February 6, 2009 at 2:43 pm

This type of activity can also be a great fund raiser for schools, scout troops, community orgs, etc. I know some schools in our county have used http://www.envirosmart.org/ in the past. (I have yet to hear how it went…)

7. leahingram on February 7, 2009 at 4:59 pm

That’s true about refilling. However, with many printer companies, if you use refilled ink cartridges and something goes wrong with a printer, it voids the warranty.