3 Reuses for Old Pillowcases

April 19, 2010

One of my favorite ways to use pillowcases is to store the sheet sets they belong to right inside the pillowcase. This makes changing the sheets a snap, since I don’t have to go hunting for anything.

But sometimes pillowcases get orphaned like socks or they get so threadbare that you dare not put them on your pillows anymore. So what are you to do with them, especially if you don’t want to throw them away? Here are 3 creative reuses for old pillowcases that I thought could save you some money and stick with this week’s green theme.

1. Turn a pillowcase into a clothing cover. Those plastic bags that clothes come home from the dry cleaner in are the worst thing that you could store your clean clothes in–that’s because they encourage mildew. Pillowcases, on the other hand, will breathe. So cut a hole in the sewed side of an old pillowcase and slip it over any clothes you’d like to protect. (I read this tip in Good Housekeeping’s awesome 125th anniversary issue, May 2010.)
  2. Slip them over a fan to keep dust off the blades. Even better you can use them to dust the fan, and all the dust will fall into the folds of the pillowcase!
  3. Pack them as a dirty laundry bag. Everyone comes home from vacation with dirty laundry. Rather than mix stinky clothes with the clean ones, pack a pillowcase or two that your family can use for holding dirty laundry along the way.

Do you have other creative reuses for pillowcases?

11 Responses to 3 Reuses for Old Pillowcases

1. [...] for $10 or more. Use your old pillowcases as dirty laundry bags or shoe bags. (You know from my recent post on reusing pillowcases that I love this idea.) Secure the top with rubber bands if you want some closure.Trash: Old Wallet [...]

2. [...] pouches for $10 or more. Use your old pillowcase as dirty laundry bags or shoe bags. (You know from my recent post on reusing pillowcases that I love this idea.) Secure the top with rubber bands if you want some [...]

3. Haier HLP21E washing machine tub capacity on April 29, 2010 at 8:05 am

[...] Suddenly Frugal Blog » Blog Archive » 3 Reuses f&#959r O&#406&#1281 Pillowcases [...]

4. Anastasia on April 22, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I use a pillowcase to cover my dogs pillow in his kennel. He has an injured back and can sometimes not hold his potty time in long enough for me to get home. With the pillowcase, I can wash it and slip it right back over the pillow and not worry about anything getting on his pillow!

• Leah Ingram on April 22, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Poor pup! But great idea!

5. suburbangrandma on April 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I used to convert them into summer fun time arts and craft smocks for my children. Cut out a whole for the head and arms and slip over regular clothes.
    Also, turn them into laundry bags for children’s overnight camping, by inserting a string in the top part of the pillow case, to easy closure and carrying ease.

6. everydayfrugaleverydaygreen on April 20, 2010 at 5:36 am

I use old pillow cases to contain the fuzz that comes off sweaters when I felt them in the washing machine.

7. Leah Ingram on April 20, 2010 at 4:42 am

Of course! How could I forget!

8. Jen A. Miller on April 20, 2010 at 4:36 am

Don’t forget trick or treating bags!

9. Gina Rubel on April 20, 2010 at 12:41 am

Use them to cover indoor flow pots. I recently attended an event where all of the centerpieces were inexpensive plants. The pots were covered with pillow cases tied with raffia at the top. It made for a beautiful, soft display.

• Leah Ingram on April 20, 2010 at 4:05 am

Love it! What a great idea!