A Quick Suddenly Frugal Survey

October 27, 2010

7 Responses to A Quick Suddenly Frugal Survey

1. Leah Ingram on October 30, 2010 at 8:16 am

Good points, Elizabeth. Love the Facebook idea!

2. Elizabeth Thomas on October 29, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Colleagues of mine wrote a Facebook and Your Marriage book and it’s the wildest, coolest way to organize a book ever!! It’s got a Facebook feel to every page, with “conversations” in it, “related posts” with page #’s of where you’d explore a minute topic further… “ads” on the sides are ways to support your marriage. I guess just saying it may be worth finding funkily organized books :)

I think the pressure points for parenting ARE either a specific TOPIC, or the specific AGE of the kid. The benefit of going by AGE is then parents can ignore all the pages for younger kids. If you go by topic, it can be tiresome to wade through stuff that doesn’t apply to ones age kids. I feel this way about a ton of parenting advice as my kids are 3 and 5, we barely do tv at ALL, no phones, no internet, computer, no crazy extra activities for the kids. All that will come in time but we are trying to live simple lives and don’t miss the insanity we see in friends!

3. Charlie Sahner on October 28, 2010 at 7:52 am

I’m a sucker for a catchy title!

4. Jill U Adams on October 27, 2010 at 10:06 am

I have to hedge a little, too. When my kids were really young, I wanted it by age. As they hit school age (maybe even preschool), I want it by advice topic. Maybe it’s cause I had more than one kid by then and saw the similarities (even if the specifics are different)?

• Leah Ingram on October 27, 2010 at 10:09 am

Jill:

I know! I can’t decide which kinds of books I like better. I remember reading “What To Expect When You’re Expecting,” which went month-by-month with your pregnancy, which was great when you were in that month. But if you wanted to find a topic of interest, you needed to know *which* month that topic appeared. (You could always look in the index.) And that’s why I’m on the fence about which organizational trick is the best!

5. Leah Ingram on October 27, 2010 at 9:55 am

Good point, Victoria. Thanks.

6. Victoria Klein on October 27, 2010 at 9:53 am

I voted for both – arranged by topic, then within each topic, arrange advice by age.