VIDEO: Another Extreme Couponer

February 28, 2011

I have to admit that the first few moments of this story caught my attention:

Karen Gunter’s shopping trips are filled with the f-word.

“Free, free, free,” Karen said as she put groceries into her cart.

OK, not the “f” word I was thinking of but that was a clever lede and got me to watch the whole segment.

However, like other extreme couponers I’ve highlighted here in the past, this shopper seems to focus on buying processed, packaged food only with coupons. I realize this is for entertainment purposes only–and you can’t find coupons for free fruit and vegetables–but I do think there are some interesting takeaway tips for all of us, such as shopping on double-coupon days. I wish my local supermarket offered those kinds of deals!

What do you think?

Watch the video of this KARE-TV segment below:

6 Responses to VIDEO: Another Extreme Couponer

1. Milk Donor Mama on March 1, 2011 at 6:31 am

All coupons are NOT for highly processed foods. Do you eat clementines? Because my Sunday paper often has coupons for those. Do you eat Greek yogurt? again, coupons. Eat eggs? Coupons. I work full time, freelance in addition to that, have two young children, a husband and two cats, and I use coupons to lower my grocery bill. I feed my family of four people and two cats for an average of $53 per week so far this year, and averaged $39 per week last year while I was pregnant. And we do not eat a whole bunch of processed stuff. On my menu this week: spaghetti, garlic bread and green beans (whole wheat pasta bought with coupons, tomato paste bought with coupons, canned tomatoes bought with coupons, frozen green beans bought with coupons); grilled cheese (margarine bought with coupons, whole wheat bread bought with coupons, cheese bought with coupons) and peas (bought with coupons), eggs, toast and sausage (all bought with coupons)… get the idea?

• Leah Ingram on March 1, 2011 at 6:47 am

Your local supermarket must be a forward-thinking one as I have never seen coupons for fresh fruits and vegetables, save for the occasional coupon on Coupons.com for Dole pineapple. You’re right about the frozen veggies, though: you CAN find coupons for those. Would you mind sharing where you grocery shop? Because I want to go to there to do my shopping! Thanks for posting a comment.

2. coleen on February 28, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Loved watching her save $$$, but alot of processed items….most of the stores that I shop at don’t accept internet coupons, where else can I get coupons??? I do stockpile when what we use is a GREAT price.

3. Carol @ Coupon Lovin' Mom on February 28, 2011 at 10:48 am

She does do great, but I get a knot in my stomach every time she puts something in her cart that is processed. Soy, hydrogenated oils, trans fat, MSG – I refuse!

4. Allison on February 28, 2011 at 10:06 am

Coupons. A good thing, yes. Can it become out of control? Yes. If you don’t have anything else to do besides clip, snip and sort – then there is the whole managing the ‘stuff’ you buy! Been there, done that! Now I try to do it in moderation. ONLY buying what we NEED and I’ve limited the amount of processed foods we’re eating and watching those items that contain a lot of packaging. FREE is great!! but time is money also and you have to weigh it against other things. I do much of what your video coupon clipper does but not to an extreme.

5. Shannon on February 28, 2011 at 8:36 am

I love to watch those videos! I do use coupons, not to that extreme, but it is great to find deals. I’m going to be ramping up my couponing since my husband is transferring to another position at his work and will lose approximately 17% in pay. We try to be frugal and coupons really help!