Get Wax Out of Clothing

June 1, 2012

instagramLast fall our area was hit with both Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee. In less than a month’s time, we’d lost power for days on end. Once the sun went down, we needed candles to light our way. While we were careful never to leave the candles unattended, lest we risk a fire, at one point we had so many candles going that knocking some over was inevitable.

Which is what happened one evening as we were closing up for the night. It wasn’t until the next morning, when we were in daylight once again, that I was able to see the damage that spilled candle had caused. That is, the melted wax that had gathered in the candle in a jar and had spilled all over the floor. Thankfully, it came up easily from the hardwood floors. The same wasn’t true of my favorite pair of green khaki pants that I’d been wearing.

The left pant leg of those pants looked like a wax version of a Jackson Pollack painting–it had splatters of wax all down the leg.

I tried scraping the paint off with my fingernail, which got some of the wax to come off but not all. Eventually, I gave up and put those pants aside. Just recently I pulled them out again, determined to fix them. Thankfully, I discovered an easy way to get wax of out clothing.

All I needed to do was to take a piece of paper towel, place it over the area with wax on it, and then run a hot iron over the area. With five or so passes of the iron, the wax simply disappeared into the paper towel. I used a fresh piece of the paper towel on each new area of the fabric so as not to melt the wax that I’d already removed onto the paper towel back onto my pants.

In less than five minutes the pants looked practically brand new. Because the candle that spilled was scented, there seems to be some oily residue left behind, which makes the pants look like they are spotted with water. I guess I can live with that rather than spotted with wax.

2 Responses to Get Wax Out of Clothing

  1. Sandy on June 2, 2012 at 3:47 pm

    You might want to invest in some flameless candles. I love mine and they are well worth the money for the piece of mind it gives my husband and I.Enjoyed your post!

  2. Rach on June 1, 2012 at 8:22 pm

    Try baby powder for the residue. Let it sit for a day or two on the spot then wash as normal.

Copyright © 2015 Suddenly Frugal Blog. All Rights Reserved.
Magazine Basic theme designed by Themes by
Powered by WordPress.